Greetings on this gorgeous sunny Spring day down in Jamaica! I have to admit that this is the most wonderful time of the year for me (next to Christmas of course)! Not only am I enjoying tropical fruits galore, I’m also admiring the mango tree out back that is abundantly covered in beautiful sweet blossoms and lovely green mangoes!
Recently, I was asked for a mango salad recipe so I thought I would share today. Before doing so however, I feel that it is my nutritionist duty to first mention some of the health benefits of green mangoes. I promise to keep it short and sweet and to the point.
Health Benefits of Green Mangoes
The health benefits of unripe green mangoes are not the same as ripe mangoes and include:
- Abundant in Vitamin C needed to fight inflammation and increase resistance power to fight diseases
- Great for the liver and internal cleansing – this is due to a specific acid element in the green fruit that increases bile secretion
- Good for constipation – rich in fibre content
- Anti-virus, anti-cancer, anti-cardiovascular due to its antioxidant properties
- Contains glutamine which helps to improve memory and concentration
- Highly alkalinizing and helps to balance acidity in the body to some extent
- Iron content may benefit individuals with anemia
- Support resistance to muscle cramps, stress and cardiovascular disease due to its potassium and calcium content
- May prevent macular degeneration in the elderly from its vitamin A content
- Contains enough niacin for proper cholesterol level maintenance in the blood stream
Have a green and great one!
Love and mangoes,
Martine Chin ~ holistic nutritionista