Greetings on this gorgeous sunny Spring day down in Jamaica! I have to admit that this is the most wonderful time of the year for me (next to Christmas of course)! Not only am I enjoying tropical fruits galore, I’m also admiring the mango tree out back that is abundantly covered in beautiful sweet blossoms and lovely green mangoes!
Recently, I was asked for a mango salad recipe so I thought I would share today. Before doing so however, I feel that it is my nutritionist duty to first mention some of the health benefits of green mangoes. I promise to keep it short and sweet and to the point.
The health benefits of unripe green mangoes are not the same as ripe mangoes and include:
- Abundant in Vitamin C needed to fight inflammation and increase resistance power to fight diseases
- Great for the liver and internal cleansing – this is due to a specific acid element in the green fruit that increases bile secretion
- Good for constipation – rich in fibre content
- Anti-virus, anti-cancer, anti-cardiovascular due to its antioxidant properties
- Contains glutamine which helps to improve memory and concentration
- Highly alkalinizing and helps to balance acidity in the body to some extent
- Iron content may benefit individuals with anemia
- Support resistance to muscle cramps, stress and cardiovascular disease due to its potassium and calcium content
- May prevent macular degeneration in the elderly from its vitamin A content
- Contains enough niacin for proper cholesterol level maintenance in the blood stream
Have a green and great one!
Love and mangoes,
Martine Chin ~ holistic nutritionista