The following is a comprehensive list of my current all-time favorite books, DVDs, and go-to links broken down into categories. I love a good book/documentary, and I add new ones that I feel will personally benefit my readers as they come my way.
I trust they will provide you with insightful information and inspire you on your journey to health. Do check them out!
- What the Drug Companies Won’t Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn’t Know: The alternative treatments that may change your life – and the prescriptions that may harm you – Michael Murray
- The Shadow Effect
- The Tapping Solution
- The Gerson Miracle
- The Secret
- Abraham – The Secret Behind “The Secret”?
- The Living Matrix
- Dr. Mercola – Natural alternative health information with up-to-date research and studies.
- Natural News – The name says it all – don’t forget to subscribe to their free e-mail newsletter. The Honest Food Guide is available to download for free which I highly recommend. You can also find books based on “Truth” regarding health, wellness & healing.
- Your Body’s Many Cries For Water - Fereydoon Batmanghelidj
- Slow Death by Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger of Everyday Things – Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie
- The Detox Book (2nd edition) – Bruce Fife
- Zapped: Why Your Cel Phone Shouldn’t be your Alarm Clock and 1,268 ways to outsmart the hazards of electronic pollution – Ann Louise Gittleman
- Environmental Working Group (EWG) – Non-profit organization protecting public health & our environment. The Cosmetic Safety Database – Skin Deep – allows you to check how safe your personal products are. The cell phone radiation database – rate your cell phone or PDA – how does it measure on a 1-10 scale? What is radiation doing to your cells?
- Natural Products Association‘s mission is to advocate for the rights of consumers to have access to products that will maintain and improve their health, and for the rights of retailers and suppliers to sell these products.
- The Untold Story of Milk – Ron Schmid
- The Raw Truth About Milk – William Cambell Douglas
- Farmageddon – Americans’ right to access fresh, healthy foods of their choice is under attack. Farmageddon tells the story of small, family farms that were providing safe, healthy foods to their communities and were forced to stop, sometimes through violent action, by agents of misguided government bureaucracies, and seeks to figure out why.
- Realmilk.com – A Campaign for Real (Raw) Milk is a project of the Weston A. Price Foundation which looks at the controversial issues pertaining to raw milk – food safety, access, and legality. It also provides a list of resources for finding raw milk.
- Raw-milk-facts.com – a comprehensive site on the current issues pertaining to raw milk.
- The Body Ecology Diet – Donna Gates and Linda Schatz
- Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) – Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
- Dr. Jensen’s Guide to Better Bowel Care – Dr. Bernard Jensen
- Breaking the Vicious Cycle – Elaine Gloria Gottschall
- Digestive Wellness – Elizabeth Lipski
- Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) – works on behalf of the 15 million Americans with food allergies, including all those at risk for life-threatening anaphylaxis. Has a wealth of information.
- Celiac Disease Foundation – Have you been recently diagnosed with celiac disease? Get support, guidelines, and other great information from this site.
- National Foundation for Celiac Awareness also has a wealth of information.
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma – Michael Pollan
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma: the secret behind what you eat, young readers edition – Michael Pollan
- In Defense of Food – Michael Pollan
- Fast Food Nation – Eric Schlosser
- What to Eat – Marion Nestle
- Plenty – Alisa Smith & JB Mckinnon
- Animal, Vegetable Miracle – Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver and Steven L. Hopp
- Primal Body Primal Mind – Nora T. Gedgaudas
- Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (3rd edition) – Paul Pitchford
- Food Matters
- Hungry for Change
- Pastured Poultry Profits – Joel Salatin
- Mother Earth News – a study showing the different nutritional profiles of eggs from conventional and pastured-raised chickens.
- Organic Egg Scorecard from the Cornucopia Institute rates egg producers on a variety of criteria.
FATS & OILS:
- Know Your Fats – Mary G. Enig
- Eat Fat Lose Fat – Mary G. Enig and Sally Fallon
- The Coconut Oil Miracle – Bruce Fife and Jon J. Kabara
- Fats That Heal Fats That Kill – Udo Erasmus
- Put Your Heart In Your Mouth – Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
- Fats Are Good For You – Jon J. Kabara
FERMENTATION AND CULTURED FOODS:
- The Art of Fermentation – Sandor Ellix Katz and Michael Pollan
- Wild Fermentation – Sandor Ellix Katz and Sally Fallon
- Truly Cultured – Nancy Lee Bentley
- Kombucha Phenomenon – Sanford Pryor Betsy
GRAINS & LEGUMES:
- Wheat Belly – William Davis
- The Gluten Connection – Shari Lieberman and Linda Segall
- Salad Bar Beef – Joel Salatin
- The Vegetarian Myth – Lierre keith
- The Ethical Gourmet – Jay Weinstein
- American Terrioir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields – Rowan Jacobsen
- Food Inc
- Eat Wild – a comprehensive website outlining the many benefits of grass-fed and pastured meats, and includes a database of farmers.
- American Grassfed Assocation – a certification system for grass-fed meat producers which includes a list of searchable producers.
- Certified Humane – an animal welfare certification system. The humane treatment of farm animals from birth through slaughter is a requirement. Also includes a list of providers.
- Deadly Emotions: Understand the Mind-Body-Spirit Connection that Can Heal or Destroy You – Don Colbert M.D
- Molecules of Emotions: The Science Behind Mind Body Medicine – Candace B. Pert
- The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles – Bruce H. Lipton
- Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them - Doreen Virture
- You Can Heal Your Life – Louise L. Hay
- You Can Heal Your Life, the movie
- The Organic Food Shopper’s Guide – Jeff Cox
- Crazy Sexy Diet – Kris Carr
- More Vegetables Please – Elson Haas and Patty James
- Greens Glorious Greens – Johnna Albi and Catherine Walthers
- The Future of Food
- Forks over Knives
- Food Matters
- Genetic Roulette
- The Weston A. Price Foundation – Sustainable farming & promotion of true healthy eating & living principles. Challenging the “politically correct” nutrition!
- The World’s Healthiest Foods – Everything you ever wanted to know about the healthiest foods in the world.
- Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides – You can find a list of the “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean Fifteen” that was compiled and is constantly being updated by the Environmental Working Group.
- USDA’s Organic Certification Program – For the inquisitive mind – you can learn more about the requirements, standards, and certification procedures of organic farming.
- The Anti-Anxiety Food Solution – Trudy Scott
- The Whole Food Guide to Strong Bones – AnnMarie Colbin
- The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Gain, and Mood Swings–Naturally – Julia Ross
- Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome – James Wilson
- The Hippocrates Diet and Health Program – Ann Wigmore
- The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease – William Wolcott
- Meals That Heal Inflammation – Julie Daniluk
- Diet for a New America
- Raw for Life
- Simply Raw – Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days
- Sproutman’s Kitchen Garden Cookbook: 250 Flourless, Dairyless, Low Temperature, Low Fat, low Salt, Living Food - Steve Meyerowitz, Beth Robbins and Michael Parman
- The Sprouting Book – Ann Wigmore
- Sprout People – everything you need to know on sprouting. Includes hundreds of pages of detailed sprouting information with instructions for growing just about any seed that can be sprouted, pictures, library of videos, seeds, supplies … you name it!
- Sprouting.com – online store that sells certified organic seeds for sprouting. A great resource to have at your finger tips.
- Sugar Blues – William Duffy
- Suicide by Sugar – Nancy Appleton
- Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills – Russell L. Blaylock
- The Blood Sugar Solution – Mark Hyman
- Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World